"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Lost ... Recovering

Just watched the resumed Season 3 of Lost on ABC-TV, and, I gotta say it was very good...

The background, as I see it: Lost was superb, out-of-this-world great the first season. For an analysis of why this was so, see my Lost: Keys to What's Really Going On. But the second season was awful. And the first half of the third season, though it had some good segments, was three times as long as it needed to be. Meaning: its worthwhile stories could have been told in just a couple of episodes. That's not a good thing in a television series.

Some people I know told me they weren't going to continue watching any more of the show. But the brilliance of the first season, and the worthwhile threads this Fall, tipped the balance - not by a large margin - but it tipped the balance in favor of my watching Lost tonight.

And I'm glad I did. Juliet's back story was one of the best in the series. And it did not have any inexplicable coincidences, like Locke or Hurley showing up, which at this point I take as a plus. Kate was perfect in her love for both Jack and Sawyer. Ben and the presumably Dharmic Others were suitably creepy. And Rousseau's daughter was worked in very well.

So I'm mostly back on track with giving Lost another chance. I'm very forgiving when it comes to potentially great television. I'll be sure to keep you posted on how it goes...

Helpful links:

listen to 3-min podcast of this review: Lost ... recovering

Lost - The Complete First Season

Lost - The Complete Second Season

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv